Who is affected?
Any worker exposed to hot and humid conditions is at risk of heat illness, especially those doing heavy work tasks or using bulky protective clothing and equipment.
What is heat illness?
The body normally cools itself by sweating. During hot weather, especially with high humidity, sweating isn’t enough. Body temperature can rise to dangerous levels if precautions are not taken.
How can heat illness be prevented?
Employers are responsible for providing workplaces that are safe from excessive heat. Employers should provide workers with water, rest and shade! Acting quickly can save lives!
- OSHA’s key pieces of advice for workers are:
- Drink water every 15 minutes, even if you’re not thirsty.
- Rest in the shade to cool down.
- Wear a hat and light-colored clothing.
- Learn the signs of heat illness and what to do in an emergency.
- Keep an eye on fellow workers.
Remember these three simple words: Water, Rest, and Shade.
Taking these precautions can mean the difference between life and death. For this information and more at: https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/heatillness/index.html
Alert-O-Lite Inc. offers various heat prevention products, to keep you safe from the summer heat! Click the picture below to check them out!